- POISON TO DOGS
Some Common Causes of Poisoning in Dogs
Some Human Medications including:
* Acetaminophen, the key ingredient in Tylenol. It is toxic to dogs and cats because the liver enzyme responsible for its breakdown works differently in cats and dogs than it does in people.
* Ibuprofen - can cause ulcers and bleeding in their intestinal tract and damage the kidneys. High doses can cause fatal renal failure.
Chocolate - lots of dark chocolate, the kind often used in baking, can be deadly. It has a caffeinelike ingredient that damages the canine central nervous system.
Grapes and raisins can lead to kidney failure.
A lot of onions can prompt anemia, which can be fatal.
Macadamia nuts can cause muscle tremors, weakness, vomiting and dangerously high body temperatures.
Artificial sweeteners such as Xylitol, the ingredient in most sugar-free gums, causes sugar levels to plummet in dogs and may damage their livers. In a paper in the Journal of the Veterinary Medical Association, researchers reported the death of four of eight dogs that had eaten xylitol-laden desserts.
Rodenticide (mouse & rat poison)
Methylxanthine Toxicity (chocolate, caffeine)
Household Cleaners and Chemicals
Metaldehyde (snail, slug poison)
Heavy Metal Toxicity (lead, zinc)
Some Sugarless Gums
Toxicity of some of the more common plants:
Jade - mildly toxic; can result in vomiting, depression and staggering.
Aloe Vera - mildly toxic; can result in vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and muscle tremors.
Dieffenbachia - mildly toxic; can result in irritation of the mouth and throat. Drooling and vomiting may also occur.
Philodendron - mildly toxic; can result in irritation of the mouth and throat. Drooling and vomiting may also occur.
Holly -commonly found around Christmas time, can cause intense vomiting and diarrhea.
Amaryllis - can result in vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, tremors, drooling and abdominal pain.
Mistletoe - another Christmas plant, can cause significant vomiting and diarrhea and if alot is ingested, death.
American bittersweet - symptoms include weakness, vomiting and seizures.
European bittersweet - symptoms include drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weakness, confusion and low heart rate.
Chrysanthemum - symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and loss of appetite.
Christmas rose - symptoms include abdominal pain, vomiting, bloody diarrhea and delirium.
Jerusalem cherry - symtoms include vomiting, diarrhea, mouth ulcers, seizures, respiratory depression, shock and death.
Autumn crocus - ingestion of the bulbs results in mouth irritation, blooding vomiting, diarrhea, shock, kidney failure, liver damage and bone marrow suppression.
Boston Fern - non-toxic
African Violet - non-toxic
Poinsettia - can cause irritation to the mouth and stomach and sometimes vomiting, however it has a low level of toxicity.
Christmas cactus - if large quantities of this plant are ingested, vomiting and diarrhea with blood have been reported however, it also has a low level of toxicity.
Christams palm - considered nontoxic
Christmas orchid - considered nontoxic
Christmas dagger fern - considered nontoxic
Mistletoes cactus - considered nontoxic
If you suspect your dog has injested a toxic substance call your vet immediately - don't wait to see how your dog reacts !!
Depending on the substance injested, your vet may induce vomiting, which if done in time,
may decrease the effect of the poisoning.
Copyright Serendipity Rare Frenchies|